Friday, July 25, 2014

July 14--St. Kateri Tekakwitha, Virgin

Is there a Native American saint?  Yes, St. Kateri Tekakwitha, also known as Lily of the Mohawks or Flower of the Algonquins, is the only Native American to be canonized.  She was born of a Mohawk father and a Christian Algonquin mother in 1656.  She was orphaned at the age of four and eventually converted to Christianity at 19 under the influence of the Jesuits who were missionaries in French Canada.  She also took a vow of virginity, which was extremely unusual.

She underwent other hardships as well.  Because she did not work on Sundays, she was not permitted to eat.  She was in danger in her village because she was Christian.  She left it and walked 200 miles to a Christian Native American village near Montreal.  She also survived smallpox, but with half her sight and severe disfigurement.  However, she accepted her crosses and spent long hours in prayer, charity, and penance.

Do we accept our crosses in our ordinary lives?  Let us listen to St. Kateri and follow her example:  "I am not my own; I have given myself to Jesus.  He must be my only love.  The state of helpless poverty that may befall me if I do not marry does not frighten me.  All I need is a little food and a few pieces of clothing.  With the work of my hands I shall always earn what is necessary and what is left over I'll give to my relatives and to the poor.  If I should become sick and unable to work, then I shall be like the Lord on the cross.  He will have mercy on me and help me, I am sure."

No comments:

Post a Comment